Watching out for your presents at Christmas
Whilst Willoughby is a safe neighbourhood, retail theft is higher here than the NSW average and property break and enters have a few hotspots around the area.
With the festive season approaching here are some tips to protect your online purchases:
- Try to be at home when the parcel arrives – you can often track the progress of your delivery online.
- Ask a neighbour – either have your parcel delivered to them or ask them to keep an eye on your doorstep.
- Specify where the parcel is to be left when you place your online order. Choose somewhere out of sight.
- Have parcels delivered to your workplace – check with your manager that this is okay.
- Consider using a free Australia Post parcel locker, located at major supermarkets and petrol stations, with 24/7 access to your parcels. Or use the vendor’s click and collect option if available.
- Consider installing CCTV. If it is motion-activated and wireless you can see your parcel being delivered and ask someone to collect it for you immediately. If it is just a camera you can at least let the police have a picture of the thief!
Finally, remember to lock your doors and windows if you are going away (or even out for a short time) and look out for your neighbours.
Willoughby Neighbourhood Watch covers the whole Willoughby Council area and is run online through a Facebook Group and website.
The group now has 425 members, who receive quick updates on recent crimes and scams, requests from the police and various tips to stay safe.