Motion going to Council. g: – That Council brings back a report detailing how Willoughby City Council can escalate its targets to 100% renewable energy by 2030 and zero emission by 2040.
Council Officer’s responded that given the extensive work involved in preparing a Council Report, it is recommended that Council be provided with a briefing prior to any report. They also provided the following information: Emissions associated with electricity comprise over half of Councils total emissions. The procurement of a large proportion of renewable energy is a cornerstone of our emissions reduction strategy. Our Green City Plan 2028 provides a strategic framework to achieve climate change outcomes for the community and includes the following targets:
• By 2020 we will emit at least 20 per cent less GHG emissions from our operations compared with 2008/09
• By 2028 we will emit at least 50 per cent less GHG emissions from our operations compared with 2008/09
• Our operations will achieve net zero emissions by 2050 or sooner if viable
• 20 per cent renewable energy target by 2020 for Council operations.
• 50 per cent renewable energy target by 2028 for Council operations.