One things that emerged during recent discussions with RMS is that it can take up to 14 weels to have an application determined, Supervisor training is about 2 days.
Supervision makes sense
The School Crossing Supervisor program is a state-wideprogram that contributes to the safety of infants and primaryschool students. School crossing supervisors help studentsuse the crossings on roads adjacent to or nearby schools.School crossing supervisors are provided where transportauthority guidelines and criteria are met.
School crossing supervisors are provided to increase mobilityand safety around schools by enhancing the performance ofpedestrian traffic facilities. School crossing supervisorsprovide additional measures for the safe and efficientmovement of primary and infant schoolchildren.
The School Crossing Supervisors program is an important component of the Safety Around Schools program.
How to apply for a school crossing supervisor
Transport authorities assess sites to determine their eligibility for a school crossing supervisor. Requests for a schoolcrossing supervisor need to be submitted in writing to Roads and Maritime Services by school principals. The Request for aSchool Crossing Supervisor (PDF, 232Kb) must to be signed by the principal and include details of the crossing beingnominated for a supervisor.
To ensure that all the relevant information is provided to transport authorities, school principals can email their request toSCSSydney@rms.nsw.gov.au
Assessment of school crossing supervisor requests
RMS will assess the nominated site against set criteria. For a site to be eligible for a school crossing supervisor it must meetthe following criteria:
- The site must have an existing children’s crossing, pedestrian crossing (zebra) or combined crossing (children’s andzebra).
- The crossing must be used by infant and/or primary school children.
- The site must be located within a 40km/h school zone.
- The crossing must be used by a minimum of 50 unaccompanied infant and/or primary school children per houracross a road carrying 300 passenger car units per hour within the morning and afternoon school zone times. Heavyvehicles over three tonnes unladen are counted as two passenger car units.
- The site must be considered a safe working environment for a school crossing supervisor.
Interested in becoming a school crossing supervisor?
School crossing supervisors play an important part in child road safety. The role would suit people who enjoy working withchildren and who wish to work part-time. RMS regularly recruits for school crossing supervisors throughout the state. Schoolcrossing supervisors need to be:
- Punctual and reliable
- Vigilant, calm and confident with working near traffic
- Able to provide clear instructions
- Able to communicate with adults and children
Employment and training
- All school crossing supervisors are trained before undertaking duty on a crossing
- School crossing supervisors are re-trained on a regular basis
- Criminal record checks are carried before the appointment of school crossing supervisor and at regular intervalsduring the employment period
- School crossing supervisors only work on gazetted school days in 40 km/h school zones.
For further details on the program, please email SCSSydney@rms.nsw.gov.au