In dealing with the renewal of the lease of land to Chatswood Golf Club there are three discrete steps in the process:
- Categorisation of Community land
- Plan of Management
- Lease (renewal)
Categorisation of community land part Sportsground, part Natural Area-bushland
Normally for a lease renewal Council would not be dealing with either the categorisation of the land to community land or creating a Plan of Management for the site. However, these two stages in dealing with public land had been overlooked in the past.
A public hearing regarding the categorisation of the currently leased land as community land (part Sportsground and part Natural Area-Bushland was undertaken by an Council-independent chairperson (Sandy Hoy) was carried out on the 16th of October 2013. Local resident Ian Tanner and Councillor Lynne Saville attended the hearing. Ms Hoy is recommending to Council that the land be categorised as proposed. That is part ‘Sportsground’ and part ‘Natural Area-Bushland’.
The ‘Sportsground’ categorisation allows for the land to be used for a wide range of sporting activities (subject to assessment of impact) as well for the playing of golf.
View a copy of the public hearing report.
Plan of Management
The next stage in the process is the adoption by council of the Plan of Management for the site. A Plan of Management has to be in place to allow a lease to be let. The proposed Plan of Management identifies a number of current uses of the land. These include:
- Holes 6, 7 and 8 of the Chatswood Golf Course (the rest of the golf course land is privately owned
- Walking and exercising of dogs
- Part of the ‘Rail to River Walk’ (SEE ELSEWHERE ABOUT THIS)
- Pedestrian access from OH Reid Reserve
- An informal pathway adjacent to the Lane Cove River
- A path from Mooney Street
- A signposted crossing point that enables walkers to cross the golf course at the tee for the 6th hole
NOTE: Under the terms of the categorisation of the land as ‘sportsground’ a wide variety of sports are allowable on the leased land.
It is proposed that Council will be entering into at least two leases with Chatswood Golf Club:
- Council as Trust Manager regarding uses of Crown land under the Crown Lands Act 1989.
- Lease regarding the use of the community land according to lease provisions of the Local Government Act 1933.
There may also be a need to Council to enter a cross lease with the Club to allow public access to Golf Club (private) land to connect the two parts of the Rail to River walk.
NOTE: At this point there are no copies available of the proposed leases.