Council unanimously adopted the following motion moved by Clr. Campbell:
- In response to community concerns, defer any decision regarding the installation of lights at OH Reid Reserve until the master planning process is completed in February 2020.
- As part of the consultation process, endorse the formation of a Citizens panel by June 2019 to inform and guide the development of the OH Reid Reserve master plan.
- Delegate the development of the Terms of Reference, including indicative membership, of the aforementioned Citizens panel to a committee consisting of the three West Ward Councillors, the Mayor, and General Manager.
- Be provided with terms of reference with a timeline by July 2019.
On Monday Feb 25 a motion was put to Council by Craig Campbell that the Council should form a Citizen’s Panel including a few OH Reid Residents to provide input into a Strategic Management Plan for OH Reid Reserve. This motion was passed by all Councillors. This means nothing will happen regarding floodlights (so we have been told by Council) at OH Reid, until the Plan is finalised around Feb 2020. The plan we hope will not include a recommendation to proceed with floodlights.
So what’s next?
– Citizens Panel will be formed around June 2019
– Panel to include residents, sporting reps, wildlife expert etc.
– Draft Mngt. plan to be out for public comment around Oct.
– Finalise Plan early 2020
So the battle is not over regarding potential floodlights at OH Reid but being involved in the Citizens Panel is a major step forward to allow us to have our say within the process. Hopefully our objections will be accepted and the Mngt. Plan will recommend – ‘NO Floodlights’.